The ultimate list of places to see along your road trip across the Canadian Rockies.
- Vancouver – easy to fly in with a large international airport. Home of the 2010 Winter Olympics, with lots to see and do. Easy to do a day or two out to the Island to visit Victoria!
- Kelowna – Try some of Canada’s best wines at any of the few hundred wineries in the Okanagen.
- Jasper – Stay at the famous Fairmont Jasper Park lodge for amazing views, or any of the local bed and breakfasts. In the winter months head up to Marmot Basin for some skiing!
- Maligne Lake & Canyon (Jasper area) – Stunning lake & Canyon. Lake is closed/snowed in in the winter, canyon is still open. Inquire about a guided ice hike.
- Mount Edith Cavall (Angel Glacier) – Easy hike up to the glacier, well worth it. Closed in the winter.
- Columbia Ice fields– Along the highway from Jasper to Banff. In winter months you must have winter tires to travel this route, the visitation center will also be closed/snowed in. The parking lot will be dug out so you can still jump out and take photos. You can take a snow bus up onto the middle of the glacier, or park at the bottom and walk up to the base of it in the summer months.
- Fairmont Lake Louis – Easily one of the most beautiful locations in the rockies. Take a hike up to the tea house (approx 2 hour) directly behind the hotel, remember they only take cash only and theres no atm.
- Banff– One of the most visited and must see cities in the Rockies. Stay along Banff Ave or at the Banff Springs hotel. Lots to see and do in the area. Ski, heli ski, ice climb, rock climb, Banff hot springs, Athabasca falls, shop and the Banff gondola!
- Canmore – Sits just out of the Banff national park. Great area to go cross country skiing. Many people stay here and commute to Banff for the day as accommodations are more reasonably priced here.
- Calgary – home to the Calgary Stampede every July. Great nightlife and dining options in the city. The Calgary Zoo is also great for kids and one of the best Zoo’s in the country.
- Edmonton – finish off in the prairies. Tons of festivals in the summer months and don’t forget to visit North Americas biggest mall, West Edmonton Mall.